Monday, November 14, 2005

Toys, Stalkers, and Moving


This past week in Rochester N.Y., a new toy was inducted to the Toy Hall of Fame. Joining such luminaries as Lincoln Logs, Lego's, marbles, and Barbie is the newest inductee, (drum roll please) The Cardboard Box. At first you might say WTF but when you think about it how many times as a kid did you spend more time playing with the box than with the actual present. With a little imagination a cardboard box can be anything from a fort to a pirate ship to a space ship to anything else your heart desires. When the fourteen year old here was younger, she was partial to Kleenex Boxes. She would stick them on her feet and skate across the carpets. So my hat is off to the newest inductee, Long live the simple cardboard box. Now that it is officially a toy, my christmas shopping list just got much cheaper.

This weekend, I read an article regarding blogger Julia Langbein. It seems that Julia's blog mocks NY food critic, Frank Bruni. The article goes on to explain that she is drawing a large following and gave an example of her work calling it sassy and witty. The last paragragh was a quote from a former NY Times reviewer William Grimes regarding the differences between blogs and review sites that review all food critics, " In the past it was random pot shots. Now it seems that you are in grave danger of being stalked on the internet by a philosophical assasin." I don't know but this seems harsh to me. I take occasional pot shots regarding my mullet headed neighbor on one side and my snake charming neighbor on the other but I certainly wouldn't consider it stalking and I occasionally take pot shots at the crazy goings on of certain celebs but I wouldn't call it philosopical assasination. Maybe some people just need to grow a tougher hide. If you are in the public eye or have your work published, like it or not, you are putting yourself in a position to face either adulation or ridicule from the public at large; so you might as well suck it up and not be a wuss.

On a personal note, my thinks to Big D for coming over and helping with the big room move. Angry Joyce finished with her latest home improvement misadventure and all the rooms were sorted out this weekend. Not only did he lend a hand in the heavy lifting, he was forced to put up with the good hearted banter (yeah right) between Angry Joyce and myself.

17 comments:

Jay Noel said...

How many times have we seen kids forgo the toy and play with the box it came in - makes sense to me.

As far as blogging is concerned, it really is quasi-journalism nowandays. Bloggers might not have the clout, but they do carry a BIG stick.

:P fuzzbox said...

laurie: I can't believe that you would deprive your child of kleenex box skating. It's the bomb. I would join her until Angry Joyce would jump my ass as a bad example.

Phoenix: I don't go to blogs to get any hard news but I think that it is one hell of a tool to go out and find out the opinions on various subjects. Whether I agree with the particular blogger's position or not, I always can find something somewhere that makes me think a subject through and come away with a better understanding.

Anonymous said...

I loved playing in cardboard boxes. I still find it difficult to toss out a really good cardboard box. I never know when I may need to store something. I'm such a loser.

Big D said...

Good hearted Banter. Not exactly what I'd call, but ok.

:P fuzzbox said...

whoami: I wouldn't consider calling anyone a loser for collecting cardboard boxes. They can come in handy. Now if you start saving used disposable douche bottles for crafts or something that is a whole other ball of wax.

big d: Thanks again. And yeah that is what passes for good hearted banter. You should check out a fight one of these days.

:P fuzzbox said...

ann: I would never call you a loser. A little twisted maybe but never a loser.

t: Nice to hear from you. Hope things are well in San Antone. Should have took em a gaylord box from the plant. Those things would rock for a kid, huh.

Dear Jane... said...

There's a show on the Disney channel called Out of the Box where supposedly the whole show takes place inside a cardboard box, but I think it's fake...

Phred said...

I had a cardboard spaceship one time..
Wonder what I did with that ????

Ann, cardboard elephant for Billy Ray, that is so cool. Takes him back to his Roots.

:P fuzzbox said...

dear jane: My boss is always talking about thinking outside of the box. I think that's fake too.

phred: Was it the Enterprise? Live long and prosper!

Phred said...

By golly it WAS the Enterprise..only there were no fags ( Sulu ) allowed.

:P fuzzbox said...

phred: At a recent Star Trek Convention, a poll was taken regarding the opinion of Sulu being gay. 95% of the die hard Trekkies did not mind that Sulu was gay due to the fact that they had never been with a woman either.

Rocky said...

The cardboard box as a toy was great because it really encouraged using your imagination. Many toys today do everything, even talk. It damn near takes the kid out of it.

In college, cardboard boxes, specifically empty Bud 12 and 24 packs made great hats.

On a Star Trek note, what choice did Sulu have? Kirk was boldly going where no man had gone before, banging every chick the crew came across including the blue and green alien chicks.

Phred said...

I wonder if Kirk ever had to '' Call a Friend ? ''

GrapeApe said...

I made out with my first boyfriend in a cardboard box... no wait - that was my girlfriend PRETENDING to be my boyfriend!!!

Phred I heard Kirk was callin on a couple aliens too the horny bastard!

Oh yeah - I'MMMMM BAAAAACKKKKKKK!!!

GrapeApe said...

Aww fuxxie you added me to your links!! BOUT TIME!!! heehee

:P fuzzbox said...

pita: Good to hear back from you. And yeah I got you added during your hiatus. And Thanks for the Cardboard Confessions.

Anonymous said...

Crafts out of empty douche containers? Oh, now I've heard it all! That's pretty ingenious and a little icky.